The WLW choral program strives to provide a place where music skills can be learned and immediately put into practice; where the individual vocal gifts can be developed and understood while developing an appreciation for the body of literature in the choral repertoire. Auxiliary benefits include learning to work as a team and insight into a history that the musical experience can uniquely provide.
The choral program strives to:
- Perform quality choral literature at the highest possible level.
- Develop musical literacy and fluency in melody, harmony, rhythm, dynamics, articulation, phrasing, and tone color.
- Apply literacy and technique to musical insight, interpretation and style.
- Foster aesthetic development and appreciation of music as an art form.
- Develop a professional atmosphere through maximum time efficiency and focus in rehearsal and other settings.
- Continue the tradition of excellence that has been a part of Western choir down through the years, established by the many fine alumns who have gone on before us.
- Appropriately represent Walled Lake Western High School and the community.
About our choirs:
Each year we feature many choirs and ensembles for the students at WLW. Depending on the year, the choirs may include:
Chamber Singers – a mixed, SATB, advanced level choir. Grades 11 & 12
Acappella Choir – a mixed, SATB, intermediate level choir. Grades 10, 11 & 12
Bel Canto Choir – an all female, SSA, intermediate level choir. Grades 11 & 12
Concert Choir – a mixed, SATB, primary level choir. Grade 10
Women’s Chorus – an entry level, all female, SSA, primary level choir. Grade 9 – 12
Men’s Chorus – an entry level, all male, TBB, primary level choir. Grade 9 – 12Serenade – an all female, SSAA, advanced level choir. Grades 10, 11 & 12
Troubadours – an all male, TTBB, advanced level choir. Grades 10, 11 & 12Huge Men’s Choir – an all male, TTBB, intermediate level choir. Grades 9 – 12
Octavius – a mixed, SATB, advanced level. Grades 11 & 12
Oltre – a mixed, SATB, advanced level. Grades 10, 11 & 12